Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Where does the time go?

I can't believe it's been over a month since I last wrote.

Let's see. I'm in the middle of the movie Mama Mia (actually I've gotten through the first two previews), but it's in the DVD player, so that's a start. Then I remembered there were a couple TV shows on tonight that I really like......... So, Mama Mia sits in wait. But I have to finish it tonight, or send the western back so I can "try" to get Twilight. Hhhmm Need to definitely mail one back tomorrow....... it arrives Friday......... Twilight ships Friday afternoon (if I got my request in soon enough) and arrives Saturday. Unfortunately, I work Saturday and have commitments for Sunday evening. Looks like Monday will be the first day I will get to watch it.

I canned some chicken breast the other day. It was the first time I've ever canned meat. But, it turned out great! I forgot to pick up tuna for Hubby's lunch about a week ago. This is not a good thing, so I opened a jar of the chicken and made chicken salad. With the milder flavor, the chicken provides a blank slate to create some really interesting taste combinations. I never make things the same way twice, so it's an adventure every time. Hubby really likes fresh ground pepper. It got lost in the tuna salad, but added the perfect bite with the chicken.

My next canning adventure is going to be cole slaw. Perfect timing with it being right past St. Patrick's day with it's corned beef and cabbage. I've heard people give rave reviews using the recipe I'm going to try. We'll see. I have a friend who cans, also. She is a bit sceptical about the possible results. But it will be a BWB process, and the syrup has vinegar, so it should be ok. Tomorrow, after I get back from the grocery (if I get my list and coupons ready tonight), I'll start the grating. I'm really excited! Hopefully I'll be able to offer canned cole claw as a side dish at Sunday supper.

OH! I went to Wal-Mart last night to buy seeds for my garden. I was so not impressed. Yes the seeds were pretty inexpensive, but the packages didn't tell me how many seeds were in the packet. What's up with that? I know what I want to grow, approximately how many seeds it will take - including the possibility of seeds not germinating, or getting mangled, and when I need to get them started. So, I'm going to be placing another seed order from Burpee. I have a little seed starter maker coming. It uses newspaper to form the pot. I've wanted one for several years. This year I finally thought about getting it before it was too late to start the seeds.

In addition to the veggies, I'm starting some flowers for my mom. I can grow a whole sea of flowers for what we pay for plants every year.

Hope to "see" you again soon.

No comments: